Hope you are a good parent today.
Now what if that was all that I put in this email to you? Just that one sentence. Nothing else. No encouragement, no insights, no nothing other than that sentence!
I imagine you would think I was either a poor communicator or I just don’t really care. Or it could say that I don’t think you are really listening anyway so why bother?
And that is how we often talk to God. That is how our teens will talk to Him if we don’t teach them differently! When your teenager was a toddler, it was sweet to see them clasp their little hands as they whispered prayers to our Heavenly Father. But sometimes those very same hands are clenched in fists that are shaken at a seemingly distant God.
Before we start this process of teaching our teens how to pray, let me encourage you to look at your own prayer life and ask yourself this question. “Do I really believe God not only hears me but also cares enough to answer?”
It is next to impossible to teach your teenager that they can take their deepest cares and concerns to God if you don’t know the answer to that question!
Check out this month’s Online Parenting Class Video on praying for your teenager:
I Peter 3:12 says, “For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer…”
Teaching your teenager how to pray…I truly believe that this is one of the greatest gifts we can give our teenagers.
Prayer is powerful! It allows your teenager to feel heard when they mostly just feel isolated! It teaches them how to create a stronger relationship with God! And it truly addresses an issue that is vital to a teenager with which they can truly relate!
Isn’t that what our teens are all about anyways? From texting to tweeting to snapchatting, it’s all about communication. What greater gift is there than to teach them how to communicate with their Creator?
- Pray with them when you drop them off at school or before they leave the house.
- Pray with them when they are struggling.
- Let them pray with you when you are dealing with issues at work. Allowing them to see your vulnerability will teach them that you place great value in prayer.
- Talk, talk, talk with them about how they view prayer.
- Create a family prayer list that is completely confidential which will also create trust within your family!
- Teach them what to do when God seems to say “No” or even “Wait”.
I believe that prayer is about so much more than taking your wants and needs to a great big God! I believe He gave us prayer to encourage relationship and trust and confidence! Any relationship would be considered empty if there wasn’t time spent talking and listening.
Let’s teach our teens how to talk and listen to the One who knows them completely.
- Our Father who art in heaven…#Lordsprayer
- Ask your teen for 3 things you can prayer for them today!
- “His ears are attentive to their prayers…”I Peter 3:12 #promises
- Prayer is a gift. Make sure you know how to use it!
- Prayer is the most important communication of all! #prayforyourteen
- Ask your teen how they would define prayer.
- “To be a Christian without prayer is no more possible than to be alive without breath.” Martin Luther
- Praying is simple but often not easy!
- Ask your teen to pray for 3 things for you today! #vulnerability
- Ask Him, just ask Him. #Heiswaiting
Feel free to forward this email to other parents of teenagers and have them email me if they would like to join our online parenting class.
If you want to see previous issues you can view them here: http://blog.churchoftherock.ca/tag/parenting-teens-online-class