Lu 2:19 “But Mary kept all these things and pondered them in her heart.” I can understand how at the first Christmas, at the birth of Jesus, there was a lot of pondering to do. How was Mary to interpret all the things that had just happened and what was before her and the Child which she just gave birth to? Much had taken place and there was much more foretold that was yet to happen:
- There had been the appearance of the angel with the strange words of God’s purpose of a saviour being born through her (Lk 1:26-33)
- There was the miraculous conception by the Holy Spirit, when Mary had not yet known any man (Lk 1:35)
- There was the angel appearing to Joseph sharing the plan of God for his marriage to Mary.
- There was the proclamation of blessing by Elizabeth and the leaping of the yet unborn John within the womb of Elizabeth (Lk 1:41-43)
- There was the prophetic utterance that seemed to come out of Mary’s own mouth promising that this child she carried would be blessed by all generations (Lk 1:50)
- There was the arrival of the shepherds, with their declaration of what the angels proclaimed (Lk2:16-17)
Based upon the above thoughts there were many new questions and things to ponder. How do you raise a child who was God and also destined to be a King? What type of discipline or encouragement should be given to this child? (Heb 5:8 though He was a Son, yet He learned obedience by the things which He suffered.) How should family members relate to such a child and how do you model good relationships to this Child? Is there something which needs to be done to enable the fulfillment of the prophetic words? What happens if Mary or Joseph should get in the way of the plans of God?
For Mary there was much to ponder. But what about yourselves. Christmas is over but what are you pondering about Christ, the purposes of God, the promises of God? For the steps that are ahead of you:
- What relationships need to be changed and better modeled to those around you?
- What change or discipline needs to be applied to your life?
- How do you need to better relate to this Jesus Christ?
- Are you helping or hindering the plans of God?
- How can you best prepare to walk out the promises and plans for your life?
As we approach the New Year, ponder in your heart what God has done, what God is doing and what God still wants to accomplish in your life; then step forward acting appropriately as there is much that God has ahead of each of you.