A quick reading of Romans 8:1-16 lists some benefits to whose who walk in the Spirit and it also gives attributes of those who are led by the Spirit of God.
- There is no condemnation to whose who walk according to the Spirit. Vs 1,
- The law of the Spirit makes us free from sin and death. Vs 2,
- The righteous requirements of the law are fulfilled in those who walk according to the Spirit. Vs 4,
- The Spirit is life because of righteousness. Vs 10,
- The Spirit of Christ in us will bring to life our mortal bodies. Vs 11,
- To be lead by the Spirit makes us sons of God. Vs 14,
- The Spirit which we have received is the Spirit of adoption. Vs15
- The Spirit bears witness with our spirit that we are sons of God. Vs 16,
These are powerful statements declaring what the Spirit of God within us will do. These verses give the results of walking in the Spirit. But what does it mean to walk in the Spirit? Is this some sensation which comes upon us and captivates our mind and emotions? Is this some experience that only a select privileged group of people get to experience and everyone else watches from the distance?
Perhaps the answer to these questions is best found right in the verse 5 where is says that those who live “according to the Spirit and are controlled by the desires of the Spirit set their minds on and seek those things which gratify the [Holy] Spirit.” (Romans 8:5 AMP) This verse says that to live “according to the Spirit” means we set our minds on the things of the Spirit. As we endeavor to think as God would think, and to do what He would do.
Lord Jesus, let Your nature and Your desires be within us so we are led by Your Spirit.